The IRS has created a new tool to track your Economic Impact Payment, better known as your Stimulus Check.
The new tool is called Get My Check and is updated once a day during the overnight hours.
According to the IRS, you only will need to use the new tool once a day, as the information it provides will not change until the next morning.
With the Get My Check website, you will receive information on your payment status, payment type and whether the IRS will need more information from you including your bank account information for direct deposit.
According to the IRS website, if you have a filing requirement and have not filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019, you will need to file a 2019 tax return in order to receive the stimulus payment.
The IRS website also provides an Economic Impact Payments Information Center to answer your questions about payment amounts, eligibility and what to expect and when to expect your payment.
Here are the Payment Status’s you may receive and their current meaning.
Payment Status (one of two statuses) –
- A payment has been processed, the payment date is available, and payment is to be sent either by direct deposit or mail.
- You are eligible, but payment has not been processed and the payment date is not available.
- Need More Information – You are eligible for a payment, but we do not have your direct deposit information. You will be given the opportunity to provide your bank information once you have properly verified your identity. Direct Deposit is the fastest way to get your EIP.
- Payment Status Not Available – We cannot determine your eligibility for payment at this time. For example, you didn’t file either a 2018 or 2019 tax return, or you recently filed and the return has not been fully processed.
If a payment date is not provided, updates to your payment status are made no more than once per day.
WHY IS MY PAYMENT STATUS NOT AVAILABLE?
In certain cases, the Get My Payment app will be unable to tell you the status of your payment. You may receive this message for one of the following reasons:
- If you are not eligible for payment (see IRS.gov on who is eligible and who is not eligible)
- If you are required to file a tax return and have not filed in the tax year 2018 or 2019.
- If you recently filed your return or provided information through Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info on IRS.gov. Your payment status will be updated when processing is completed.
- If you are an SSA or RRB Form 1099 recipient, SSI or VA benefit recipient – the IRS is working with your agency to issue your payment; your information is not available in this app yet
- You can check the app again to see whether there has been an update to your information.
Get My Payment data is updated once per day, so there’s no need to check back more frequently.
Get My Payment Bank Account Information
According to the IRS.gov website, when the Get My Payment says, “Need More Information” here is the meaning.
You are eligible for an Economic Impact Payment (EIP), but we do not have your direct deposit information to send your payment electronically.
- You should provide your bank information once you have properly verified your identity.
- Make sure the routing number, account number, and account type are correct.
- You can find this information on one of your checks, through your online banking applications or by contacting your financial institution directly.
- Direct deposit is the fastest way to get your EIP
- If you choose not to provide your bank information or prefer to receive your EIP by mail, your payment will be sent to the address we have on file for you.
Have You Been Locked-Out of Get My Payment?
If you get a message that says, “Please Try Again Later”.
Your account has been locked. You will only be able to access the application after 24 hours have passed.
The IRS requests to please not contact them, they can not unlock it for you.
To have more of your Economic Impact Payment “Stimulus Check” questions, please visit the IRS Information Center.